Assembly by Chris Rattenbury in support of the charity WheelPower.
Chris is Vice Chairman of British Weightlifting Association for the Disabled and was been powerlifting for 17 years; he retired from sport in 2015. He has competed in the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, two World Championships and six European Championships. He’s highest ranking in his career was 4th in the World in his weight category and is number one in Europe and Britain. Chris has been working with WheelPower for 6 years and has spoken to over 40,000 people about WheelPower.
Facts about the Paralympics…
· The Birthplace of the Paralympic movement is Stoke Mandeville, Buckinghamshire
· 22 sports have featured at Rio 2016 Paralympic Games. Two new sports have been added for 2016; Triathlon and Canoe
· Over 4000 athletes will compete from across the globe
· ParalympicsGB will take a team of 258 athletes to Rio
· Currently ParalympicsGB have got 29 gold medals, 16 silver medals and 20 bronze medals
· Outside Rio there is only one place in the world that took part in the Paralympic Torch Relay; Stoke Mandeville
· There have been 500 Paralympic torch bearers during the torch relay for Rio
· There are only 14 Rio Paralympic torches in existence in the UK, and one came into to our school this week!
The winners of the Year 6 art competition are:
Orla's Own Steps
On Tuesday 3rd May, we had a special assembly when Orla Brash, a local 4 year old girl, came in with her mum to meet the children at TGMS. We are delighted to be linking up with our local comunity and help support the fundraising efforts as part of the Big Weekend. Ruth Powell, whose own children went to TGMS, spoke to the pupils about coming along to the events and how we shall be involved as a school. A local art gallery owner, Victoria Vincent also spoke to our pupils about the art workshops and art competition. Do you want to be a VIP at the art exhibition on Friday 17th June? The judges of the Final Night Art Competition will be Paul Bell and Paul Hunnings; reknowned local artists. More details to follow....
Ordnance Survey visit TGMS after India wins national competition.
See link below to Ordnance Survey website.
Read all about Olly Gandy's fabulous 'Meet The England Rugby Team' experience after he won a competition. Olly's family have kindly donated a signed England Rugby Ball (collected on the day) which will be raffled off as part of this year's PTA Christmas Fair.
Read all about Johnny Ball's visit to TGMS on Friday 17 October as part of our maths week by following this link to The Bucks Free Press website.