Assembly by Chris Rattenbury in support of the charity WheelPower.
Chris is Vice Chairman of British Weightlifting Association for the Disabled and was been powerlifting for 17 years; he retired from sport in 2015. He has competed in the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, two World Championships and six European Championships. He’s highest ranking in his career was 4th in the World in his weight category and is number one in Europe and Britain. Chris has been working with WheelPower for 6 years and has spoken to over 40,000 people about WheelPower.
Facts about the Paralympics…
· The Birthplace of the Paralympic movement is Stoke Mandeville, Buckinghamshire
· 22 sports have featured at Rio 2016 Paralympic Games. Two new sports have been added for 2016; Triathlon and Canoe
· Over 4000 athletes will compete from across the globe
· ParalympicsGB will take a team of 258 athletes to Rio
· Currently ParalympicsGB have got 29 gold medals, 16 silver medals and 20 bronze medals
· Outside Rio there is only one place in the world that took part in the Paralympic Torch Relay; Stoke Mandeville
· There have been 500 Paralympic torch bearers during the torch relay for Rio
· There are only 14 Rio Paralympic torches in existence in the UK, and one came into to our school this week!